04 May, 2017

The Big Hex Flimsy

The Big Hex ~ 44"(h) X 52"(w).
I have been inspired by this quilt/play mat for little ones that I found on Pinterest as a way
to combine my own recently constructed hexie blocks (most recent BOM at my LQS) into a similar project for a baby gift; the hardest part, for me, was finding suitable quality pom-pom trim, I am super picky about that! I found some that is absolutely perfect, it is a natural color, I can use it as is and it will add visual interest, texture and assist in weighing down the edges when it's on the floor for baby's tummy time; or, I can get brave and try dyeing it turquoise for one more pop of color. I am still not sure about that. In the meantime, while I decide to dye or not to dye, I already have a quilt on Snowbird, as soon as the quilting is completed on that one I will be loading Big Hex on the rails for its turn and adding the sweetest Goldilocks and the Three Bears backing fabric. I do believe that the new baby, and her Mommy, will really enjoy this gift.
Stay tuned for the pom-pom edge finishing touch; I am hopeful that last step will be as wonderful as I am imagining it to be, I have never done anything like this before (dyeing or adding an embellishment as an edge finish), any advice or tips would be most appreciated. Fingers crossed!🤞
Life is Good!
 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed with how your Big Hex quilt turned out. I'm not being very successful in trying to figure out how to border my hexies nicely, but I'll keep trying. You are an inspiration!

Needled Mom said...

That is going to be fabulous. I love the hexies made into a big hexie.

em's scrapbag said...

What a fun quilt!

cityquilter grace said...

adorable but wondering why pom-poms on the original...

julieQ said...

I love your hexie mat...perfect in my eyes!!