01 January, 2018

Resolute

How did you spend New Year's Eve? I spent Sunday afternoon moving data from my 2017 planner to my new, 2018, version. My January calendar is almost full already. Can you stand the excitement? Wait; there's more. This year I am color-coding appointments and events. I love a planner that I can write in. My husband and I share an electronic calendar too, through Microsoft Outlook; that is his preference. That's fine, I suppose by putting all of my information in two separate places I am jogging my memory even further; not a bad thing! I am already planning good habits and disciplines for the new year from the RESOLUTE desk. (Not to be confused with the furniture in The White House, this is what I call my own area from which personal resolutions are hatched.)
The definition of the word RESOLUTE, an adjective, is as follows: admirably purposeful, determined and unwavering. "She was resolute and unswerving". Synonyms: determined, purposeful, resolved, adamant, single-minded, firm, unswerving, unwavering, steadfast, staunch, stalwart, unfaltering, unhesitating, persistent, indefatigable, tenacious, strong-willed, unshakable.
I might have been described by one or two of these words over the years; after all, I am nothing if I am not purposeful, determined and unwavering! And so, on this first day of a brand new year I will commit to the following:
Yes, this will be the year that I read the Bible all the way through, cover to cover! In fact, our entire congregation is doing this (it's always good to have others on board to keep each other accountable). If you would like to join us you can download your own brochure here to keep up with the daily readings. The tri-fold brochure is a good size to use as a bookmark as we travel through the books and chapters, there's even little tick-boxes next to each day's assignment so that you can chart your progress. I am looking forward to accomplishing this; it's a bucket-list item for me. 
And then there's this. EQ8.  I bought this new, enhanced, upgrade-version as soon as it was available and downloaded it to my laptop back in October. I love to work and design in EQ. I bought the hard-copy manuals so that I could work my way through the lessons without having to toggle back and forth between screens (I like to hold a reference book). Have I practiced yet? Only a little. I do want to be proficient in this software; however, wanting won't make it so. The manuals have been moved to my RESOLUTE desk. Yep, now I am committed. I am dedicating a set amount of study time (it's written, in blue(!), in the planner) every day until this program is familiar and second-nature to me. So, here we are again: day number one of a brand new year. What are you determined to accomplish in 2018? When we come around once again, 365 days from now, to the next day one-- what will you proudly claim as that which you were steadfast, staunch and adamant about? If I can do it, so can you. Let's be resolute together!
Happy New Year!
Life is Good! 
 

4 comments:

Sherrill said...

I read all the way thru for the first and only time just a few years ago, using an online plan. It worked..I really should do it again.

cityquilter grace said...

this year i firmly resolve to preserve the gift of improved quality of life. i promised my cardiac surgeon i would not squander this gift even tho it is a huge challenge to be staunch to my dietary restrictions in particular. slowly becoming a reformed foodie....

Little Penpen said...

Look at you , being all resolute... lol. I'm trying to focus and challenge myself to become more productive this year. I have a Daily reading Bible and I have never finished it from the start (I've had it since 1995!) So I am going to be more reasonable with myself and attempt to read the New Testament portion this year. If I'm successful, I 'll go for the old testament next year!

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Excellent word and "resolution" ... like Cityquilter Grace I need to focus on changing dietary habits that have taken my health in the wrong direction. I am doing that with baby steps and find it isn't difficult for me when done that way. I have also spent a large portion of the last few weeks trying to organize myself in many areas. Destashing and donating are in the works, I find when my surroundings are in chaos my heart in mind are also in chaos. Seeking peace in that resolution. Linda